Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Sometimes I worry about the future of Black people






Well, actually, oftentimes I do. Case in point: I started my morning as I usually do, pretty much refusing to do any work, and surfing the pages of my favorite gossip blogs instead. And yes, before you ask, sometimes I worry about my future as well, but I'm addicted to gossip blogs, and like any good addict, refuse to give them up.

Anyway, moving on. Rewind to a few months ago, when I was again, pretty much refusing to do any work, and sitting in my office listening to the woman who makes my afternoons tolerable, Ms. Wendy Williams. Remy Ma, the blond-bang wielding shemale rapstress was on. Eager to hear what this degenerate would have to say, I turned the radio up, and sat back, ready to spew classist rants. Surprisingly, she sounded pretty normal. Aside from a few threats of violence aimed at all the haters who try to bring her down when she visits her old neighborhood and her concurrent mentions of her love for her son and marijuana in the same sentence, Remy seemed rather grounded. She talked about how she tried to tell her friends back in the projects that it wasn't normal to have babies before getting married, and it wasn't a good idea to have kids that you can't financially support. She pretty much won me over. I mean, I was ready to overlook her stunningly revolting fashion choices, and even pat her on the back for confining the blonde weave on her head to her bangs. She even visually displayed her progress, showing up to court in (almost) appropriate attire and a weave that was all black and all beautiful.

So then I logged onto bossip.com today, and started to hum Paula Abdul's mark-of-genius line, "we take two steps forward, we take two steps back". There are some quotes from the new issue of XXL magazine, which bossip thankfully posted, because Lord knows I would never encounter them on my own accord. Ms. Remy, who I had such high hopes for-- I mean, I envisioned a nerdy, private-school, albeit weed-smoking son, a ghetto-fabulous wedding album, and packages of premium yaky stacked in the walk-in closet-- clearly hasn't made it as far as I had hoped.

The interviewer asked her "What do you want to do"? Now, I don't know the context, and I won't speculate, because I haven't read the whole article, but let me give you some ideas of what I consider appropriate responses:

(1) "travel the world, smoke my trees, shop in italy . . . you know, see the world, 'main'!"
(2) "keep it hood, you know, keep it hood. uplift my people" (similar to something she said on Wendy)

and even, you know, if she was slackin' on her pimpin' a lil' bit:

(3) "destroy all these rap bi*ches. win grammys, pimp hard, stunt, give my son the best of everything!".


But noooo . . . Remy had to really go there and represent for successful black women (I hate to say it, but she is a successful black woman in some regard. sorry snobs). Her response?

“I want to do nothing. I wanna go fu*king shopping like every other bitch and get my pu*sy ate. I don’t give a fu*k. What do you mean, What do I wanna do? I don’t wanna do nothing! I wanna shop and look fly and fu*k my man.”


Well, thanks Remy.

Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, and Black Power!

3 comments:

Ugochi said...

what a lost cause!

:-/

Anonymous said...

So I dont know what yo problem is Nana... I have similar goals. As I sat through a painful meeting today at work do you think I dreamt of anything but 1) shopping 2) getting my pussy ate and 3) nothing???

U !s tr!pp!n.. 3'rybody a!nt got b!dn3ss skool dr3ams

Anonymous said...

I like smokin trees and eatin pussy...maybe I should holla at Remy?