Thursday, December 6, 2007

Let's Talk About . . .


The unfortunate LP (little person) known to pop-culture consumers as Midget Mac.

Before I begin, let me say that I really don't watch I Love New York. I won't try to pretend that I didn't watch both seasons of Flavor of Love, but for some reason-- maybe its guilt, but more likely disgust-- I refuse to waste precious hours of my life watching random losers try to "date" New York. I mean, I can't be mad at her though-- with those chipmunk cheeks and my-mom-drank-while-pregnant eyes, Flavor of Love/I Love New York is probably the only way she'd ever be on TV. Plus, she's already shot down her credibility after chasing after Flavor Flav, so she might as well make all the money she can now. However, I have seen a few episodes of the show, usually because other people in my house are watching it, or it just happens to be on in the background when I'm doing something else.

Back to Midget Mac. I guess what I have a problem with is the fact that he allows himself to be called that. Okay, that's not the only thing I have a problem with. I also have a SERIOUS problem with his clothes. Its really the same issue I have on normal sized grown men who wear baggy jeans, shirts three sizes too big and fitted hats (basically men who dress like preteens), but on Midget Mac, the ridiculousness of it all is exaggerated by the fact that he's like 3'5". Why on Earth would you wear a striped Nautica polo shirt that drags on the ground when you walk, and where, exactly, does he get those jeans? Baby Gap?

Anyway, I didn't find it funny when Midget Mac was talking in the confessional, and all you saw was his little red fitted hat in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. I didn't see this, but if I had, I wouldn't have found it funny that New York's mom screamed and ran away from him when she saw him, and I have a huge problem with the fact that he allows himself to be called 'Midget Mac'. I mean, its kind of like someone being called 'Nigg** Nate' (not exactly, but you get my point) or 'Fat Frank'. Who would allow that?

Now, if you think I'm being crazy, and overreacting, no, I don't have any LPs in my family or anything, and I'm not one myself. But, peep this:

"I do not see an end to the use of midget. What I hope is that people's understanding evolves so that they realize the word is considered by many little people as a slur on their humanity. It shouldn't be a throwaway line in a comedy routine. It shouldn't be hurled out a car window. And it shouldn't be the only form of insensitivity toward other human beings that doesn't deserve an apology from the Hollywood stars, or ordinary people, who utter it either thoughtlessly or with malice. "

That's from the Bay Area Chapter of Little People of America, and being that I know nothing about being an LP, I won't argue with what he says.

Anyway, this all leads me to my real point, and sorry if this offends you. This is all I know: When I was little, there were a couple LPs in my school. You were NOT allowed to make fun of them, and I really don't think administration would have taken too kindly to them being nicknamed 'dwarf danny' or 'tiny tina'. This is my theory. LP Mac, as I'll now call him, didn't go to a nice, suburban school where the teachers actually care about the students like I did. He must have gone to a crowded, chaotic school with teachers who didn't give a fu*k, and would let their students get made fun of for things outside of their control, like their height. LP Mac, essentially, is an oppressed ghetto LP, who probably never was taken aside and told that he shouldn't be treated badly because of his stature.

And for that reason, I feel for LP Mac, and I urge him to get his life together and force people to respect him. I mean, he must be crying inside, right?

1 comment:

Ugochi said...

poor guy.

i feel bad for him :-/

i guess he's just content to coon around on tv. smh.

Beauty 365
Beauty Every Day